The Friends of Algonquin Park is currently in search of:
The Friends of Algonquin Park is looking for interested individuals to volunteer their time to assist at the Algonquin Logging Museum. We are looking for volunteers from June 20 until October 18, 2015. The hours of commitment are 8:30 am to 5:15 pm. Commitments for one day to multiple weeks will be considered. The Algonquin Logging Museum is located at km 54.5 along the Highway 60 corridor within Algonquin Park.
The museum brings to life the story of logging from the early square timber days to the last of the great river drives, and onward to current forestry practices. The Algonquin Logging Museum has a welcoming reception building with a bookstore, which is where our volunteers would be stationed. A typical visit begins with a video presentation that sums up the logging history of the Algonquin area. Then visitors take a step back in time and learn about this colourful aspect of Algonquin's cultural history along an easy-to-walk 1.5 km trail. A recreated camboose camp and a fascinating steam-powered amphibious tug called an "alligator" are among the many displays along this loop trail.
- Acting as an ambassador for Algonquin Park
- Providing general information on Algonquin Park facilities, cultural and natural history
- Assist with the processing of bookstore sales and subsequent stocking preparations
- Assist with balancing sales remits and cash floats at end of each shift
- Opening and closing the facility and maintaining daily exhibit and theatre operations
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and oral and written communication skills
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and committed to customer service excellence
- Experience in retail operation
- Knowledge of Algonquin Park
- Knowledge of Ontario's natural and cultural history
- An appreciation for the outdoors
- A valid Driver's Licence
- Ability to provide a current and satisfactory criminal background check
- Ability to speak languages in addition to English would be an asset
Expression of Interest
A detailed resumé outlining knowledge, skills, experience, and references should be emailed, mailed, faxed or dropped off to:
The Friends of Algonquin Park
Whitney, ON K0J 2M0
Tel: (613) 637-2828 ext. 239
Fax: (613) 637-2138
Those individuals chosen to move forward in our volunteer program will be contacted. We thank all individuals for their interest in supporting Algonquin Provincial Park.
The Friends of Algonquin Park is occasionally in need of volunteers for various special events and educational opportunities. If you are interested in volunteering with The Friends of Algonquin Park, please contact us and let us know how you can assist us and when you are available.